Friday, June 3, 2011

It takes a village to cure cancer













Today a friend of our family had a double mastectomy. Just a few weeks ago she found more than one lump. Her name is Brett. She was a cheerleader with my DIL. Her husband played baseball with my son and was in the same class. I am friends with her mother and my daughter was a friend of Brett's brother. My son and DIL bought their first home from Brett and her husband.

Brett has two young children. One in the second grade and one that is 4. Brett is only 35 years old. She is the sweetest person. A couple years ago I had Goose at the playground. Goose walked in front of a big handicap swing. I tried to stop her and to stop the swing but couldn't. Goose was so upset. I carried her out of the park screaming. She was okay but didn't want to leave. The park was full of people. Only one person came over to me and offered to help. It was Brett.

About the pictures.......the first one is a rosette that a couple of her friends made, left on their porches for friends to stop by and pick up in support of Brett. Not for money but to remind you to think about her and pray for her. They kept making more as so many wanted them. I wear mine almost every day.

The next pictures are what Brett and her husband saw this morning on the way to the hospital. One sign said "It takes a village to cure cancer." The other one said , "A friend doesn't let a friend go through cancer alone."
Now here is the amazing thing......these balloons and signs continued all the way to the hospital.....that hospital is over an hour away. She has so many friends that really care. The community is there for her. They even have meals planned clear til September. I remember how this same village rallied around me when I had cancer. It sure helps.

If you would pray for Brett and her family, I would be so thankful.

(((((HUGS)))))








14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, supportive community. Brett will be in my prayers. Hugs

pogonip said...

That's quite a silver lining to discover so much love and support. My best to Brett and her family and bless everyone who's helping out.

<3

bj said...

I am so sorry ...breast cancer..any cancer, is so so terrible.
I will indeed pray for her, along with so many others I hear about.

Julie Harward said...

Makes me cry...there are so many good people and so many doing just what the Lord would want us to do...God bless her and them. :D

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

I am so amazed at how your neighbors rally in support of each other. How great to know there are such kind people in this world and I will of course pray for Brett and her family.
Thanks for sharing this story
Love
Maggie

genie said...

Debbie....3 more days and I am through. I have NOT forgotten you at all...in fact, I think about you everyday. I have not gotten a pink slip so am assuming and HOPING I still have my job in the fall. So sorry to hear about your friend. You have really had a rough year. I cannot imagine a community pulling together as this one has to support her. It is wonderful. Take care, hope you are out already. We will have a good summer. Hugs and love, Genie

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

WOW...that is so wonderful that she has so many people that care and love her. My eyes have tears in them seeing all those balloons.
Warmly,
deb

Unknown said...

I am so sad for your friend. i will pray for her. You are such a sweet heart. So caring. Thanks for your comment and your friendship.
I love your blog Template. Very pretty :)

Unknown said...

I am so sad for your friend. i will pray for her. You are such a sweet heart. So caring. Thanks for your comment and your friendship.
I love your blog Template. Very pretty :)

French Hen Farm said...

what a nice story. you friend will be in our thoughts and prayers. What a wonderful community.
XO
linda

bj said...

Thanks for coming by today...and thank you deeply for praying with me for rain.
hugs, bj

B said...

Thoughts and prayers going out to Brett and her family. Thanks for sharing her story so I could pray for her as well.

Relyn Lawson said...

What a tender, loving story.

Abi's Blog said...

Hi, just found your blog thru Cindy's at RRGingham - Just wanted to tell your friend that I too had breast cancer at a very young age - around 30. My prayers are with her - I had three children second grade twins and a three year old. I will pray for her family.
Blessings,
Ava
Oh, and I've been breast cancer free for 25 years. :)