Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lay Lady Lay

The girls went with me to pick up my organic, free range, eggs from spoiled rotten hens. K. Bug was so surprised when she saw the chicken laying an egg. And the egg lady (Debbie) let her hold it. The egg not the chicken. So clean and so warm.

Such a cute little laying house. Don't you love the words.



This is the chicken run. They would run along beside Goose. They move the run every couple of weeks so they have fresh grass and it allows the grass to regrow. They have a place to lay, to potty, and to run. They eat special food plus food Debbie brings home from the school cafeteria. She makes popsickles out of some of it for summer feeding. The girls fed them wild strawberries.





This house is on wheels so it can be moved. In the winter they move the house into the barn. Just a little barn as they live in a neighborhood on about 2 acres.


Here Debbie is letting K. Bug feed the chickens clover. The girls had so many questions. Where does the egg come out of? Are you eating the baby chicken eggs? Why do they need a Daddy Rooster if they want baby chickens. Now what hole.......I'll spare you those questions? On and on and on the questions came.


After the visit I needed to go to the store but they needed to wash hands. So we went to McDonalds and they had "chicken" nuggets. For some reason that didn't seem right. The didn't seem to make the connection, thank goodness. On to Target, back to our house to let the doggies. As I was unloading I shut the trunk on half the eggs. Guess who had scrambled eggs for dinner.


Onto other things.......how can this be Thursday already. It seems like we just got back from the beach. The girls parents are on another trip. Both are teachers, nice to have the summers off. Right now the girls are having a sleepover with their Aunt from Colorado at her mothers house. Does that make sense. I will pick them up in the morning and spend another night with them.

My Hubby is still using my car........his is being fixed but not too quickly. I am driving my son's big Tahoe. It's really big considering I drive a bug. I have this feeling that I may be stranded next week without a car....SO.....I stopped at Archivers today to get some cool summer paper to scrap my beach pictures. I made a couple mini albums for my sweet friend Kathy that made the road trip with me today. (I forgot to take pictures to share with you so you can see I do something other than watch kids) Kathy and her husband are in town this week for meetings. It was so much fun spending a little time with her today. She was excited about seeing the littles. She is a brand new Grammy herself. A sweet little boy.

Okay I had better wrap this up. Thanks for your prayers for my friends. I am sorry some of you are having such horrible heat right now. We are having lots of storms. Stay cool chicks. (He he)









13 comments:

Nan said...

Love the chicken story. I in fact adore chickens. Kids need to know about stuff like that if they don't live with it daily. You were doing good there Debby with the organic eggs until the stop at McDonalds then you lost me. How we survived our childhoods without going to fast food restaurants or any restaurant at all is a total mystery to today's parents I guess.

Julie Harward said...

That is such a clever chicken place...how fun to get the eggs there, too bad so many broke! ;D

pogonip said...

There's nothing quite like a fresh egg--scrambled or not! I'm so glad your grands got to hold a warm egg too. It's one of my favorite moments each morning when I go out to feed my girls.

just call me jo said...

Chickens can be a bit mean, but I do love fresh eggs. These ladies sound as if they are very pampered. Thanks for following. I'll try not to disappoint. Your grandkids are adorable.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great chicken story.....Finally a few hours to blog hop and catch up on some of my favorite blogs. Have a great weekend

La said...

What a fun and informational day for the girls.

Anonymous said...

What a fun day for the girls, I bet it will be one of their best memories to cherish for life. Love the pictures. Those chickens are very well taken care of. Sorry about your eggs but glad you were able to scramble and eat them. Hugs

sara said...

How cute :) If I were a chicken, I would want to live there :)

bj said...

O, I want some chickens soooo bad...but I live slap dab in the middle of town..daughter lives in the country, tho, and she wants chickens, too. Maybe we can share some. :))

Thanks for your sweet words on my header. I have about as much fun playing around with it as I do blogging. :))
xo bj

Mandy England said...

That looks like such a fun place to get eggs! I'm sure the girls loved it! :)

Heather said...

Hi Debby! What a great chicken story! Weren't you relieved when the girls didn't figure out the chicken nuggets?! By the way, I just love that adorable chicken coop. Someday I would love a chicken coop just like that one...love the whimsy of it!

Donna said...

Hi Debby, That is the loveliest chicken story ever and the photos are priceless! I adore chickens and hers are so pretty and look so happy!

I'm sorry to hear so many are hurting. I just took a meal to a friend whose mother just died of cancer. We swapped stories about my Dad and her mom..and those last few moments. She's my age and I know how hard it was for her.

Thanks for always keeping us so informed. :) You have such a sweet heart.

xo
Donna

Stacy H-W said...

Debby I loved reading your chicken story. It is hilarious that you ate chicken nuggets afterwards! lol
I hope your scrambled eggs were yummy.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the inspirational comment. What a fantastic story! Miracles do happen. hugs, Stacy h-w