Saturday, June 25, 2011

Calling 911

K. Bug and Goose have their parents back home again. Mr Cozy Blanket came to pick me up this morning. He brought Timbits from Tim Hortons for the girls. They are donut holes, the kids love them. Grampy ate one then got a glass of water. My son and I were talking and heard this terrible noise. We turned and looked and my Hubby was choking. Actually throwing up water and struggling. It took me awhile to register what was happening. He sometimes chokes (mildly) when he has asthma attacks. I think I was expecting him to stop. Mrs. First Aid/CPR recently renewed looked at my son (me of source) and said, 'What do we do." My son started doing the Heimlich and told me to call 911. He did the manuever several times with force.
Nothing was dislodged but he freed up something. The choking stopped while I was on the phone but the squad still came. So scary. What if he had been alone. I am sure I would have reacted differently as I know I have with children before. It sure is scary to see an adult going through this. The girls were watching but we think they thought Grampy and Daddy were wrestling like they did last week in the pool. He is doing fine. Very tired and sore. I'm not sure if he didn't have an asthma attack with this somehow. He said he even feels that way. But loosing oxygen would be similar.
It is a reminder that things can change on a dime. In case of choking you don't have alot of time. The EMT's said it is best to call them when someone starts to choke instead of waiting. It is alot easier to do this method on a child. My husband is 6'3" and a big guy.
Not sure I could have done as well as my son did.

16 comments:

bj said...

Well, this would have scared the very pee out of me, Debby. I have often wondered how I would handle things like this. They say you do what you have to do...and I pray I could do it.
So glad all is well. whew!

Alyssa said...

So glad everything turned out okay! How scary!!! ;)Alyssa

La said...

So glad everything is ok now. I hope you will be joining us in Tipp City.

just call me jo said...

I'm so thankful that everything turned out OK. It would have scared pee out of me too. My husband chokes some times with acid reflux or something. It's scary, but nothing as frightening as this. Blessings and hugs.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! Sweet Debby that had to be scary. Sure glad your hubby is alright. That picture is just adorable. Hugs

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Oh my goodness Debby!! How scary. I'm so glad that everything turned out ok. I hope he feels better soon! Big hugs to both of you.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh
scary
hope all is well
give hubby my best
AND by the way
you won my
lastest
Gooseberry Patch
giveaway!!!
please email your
address :D
BEAR HUGS
~victoria~

Cindy said...

Aww Debby how scary!!The sugar on the donouts can get into the wind pipe and it contracts..like you are having an allegy attack.I think ya'll did everything correct..the main thing if it happens again is to call like they said.sometimes it can trigger a real allergy attack.This was told to us by the dr's with Wendy's 2 with asthma.
Hugs and Praise God he is okay!!!

Lovin's from Tx..Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, how scary was that? And how lucky you were to have your son there. It does sound like perhaps your hubby's asthma was a contributer to the choking.

What a day. I hope you are both better today, but it makes you think, doesn't it?

Sending warm caring hugs to you and your husband. Be well.

Jan

Gabriele Agustini said...

What a scary, scary thing to go through!! Not just for your husband, but for everyone! I'm so glad that everything turned out okay in the end!!
xxxx

Heather said...

I am so glad that your scary experience ended with your husband being okay. That must have been terrifying.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Scary and glad that he is okay!
Take care.
deb

Vicki Chrisman said...

Oh.. Debby..that is SO scary! I'm so so glad your hubby is okay!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh, Debby,
I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your husband--and I am so glad that he is okay now!!!
XO
Cindy

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I have had to perform the heimlich three different times...it is scary..so glad it turned out ok!

Nan said...

I think aging brings on all kinds of odd things we didn't do when young. Coughing when eating is one my husband does it has a complicated explanation which I won't go into but I think the moral of your story is no more donut holes for Gramps.