Saturday, August 16, 2014

The clowns are coming

Tomorrow the clowns will be arriving at camp.  This will be the third year of American Clown Academy.  Before that there was more than twenty years of  ClownTown.  ClownTown was like the high school to Clown Academy being college.  I didn't make that up but one of the co-founders of the Academy did.  We have 8 very experienced clowns.  Some are Master Clowns and some have been with Ringling Brothers.  We will have about 38 campers that get one on one attention and education from our great faculty.  I am a greeter, go getter, show person, cheerleader for the week. We will have a Big Show in town on Thursday Eve.  That's how I got the show girl title.  There are cabins at the camp where the campers stay.  Although it would be great fun......I will drive home to my A/C, bug free bedroom at night, bathroom, and not have to stand in line for a shower.  The worst being walking to the bathroom several times a night.   My choice.  SO, I am excited to get the party started.  I also need to mention great meals.  Really great meals.
 
Just to update all of you................
We had two showings scheduled this week.  Both cancelled 30 minutes before the showing.  Different buyers and different realtors.  The first one , I had already left with the dogs and spent two and a half hours riding around and sitting in a park.  My house was pretty shiny though.
I read where Miss Mustard Seed had her house on the market for 3 months and didn't have one showing.  I am surprised as I would think she would have had lots of people looking just to see the house.  I noticed all the comments that were left.  You need a new realtor, sell it yourself, price isn't right, not listed long enough, etc.  I am sure everyone meant well, but I don't feel it is one particular thing.  The market is slow some places.  I know in Colorado where my daughter lives houses have been selling at 100% and quickly.  Maybe it is because they legalized marijuana.  Who knows.
We are in for the long haul and trying to stay positive.  I even went and bought a St. Joseph.  I will make that a post in itself. 
We have been taking the grandchildren out for a little school shopping  They had so much fun picking out their own things.  I should have taken a picture of Mabel's purchases.  You would swear I picked them out.  The most colorful shoes and socks.  A pack of six socks that have all kinds of designs and colors.  As soon as her dad saw them he said, These look like socks my mom would wear", hah.  She tried on every sock.  Rudy the puppy tried to steal them.  He would run and run around the table escaping all of us.  M. got OSU Nike's and football cleats and a shirt.  The girls got Under Armor shirts, Justice jammies and shorts.  They wanted to sleep in their clothes.  We will send money out West to the other two.  Funny thing is they have lots of clothes that they trade.  Their moms and dads also buy them clothes, BUT, we let them pick out what they wanted.  We haven't done this before but it was really fun for us.
I remember when our daughter was started 1st grade  We had just moved and the sale of our home had fallen through for the buyers.  We were suddenly left with two mortgages and three small kids.  The youngest being 3 months old.  I remember my husband giving me $50.....which was a lot back then (35 years ago).  I went to a nice store in a little town.  I managed to do wonders with that money.  I still remember the brown flowered dress that she started the first day in.  Her brothers and I drove out to the school to meet the school bus.  It was in the boonies.  I called it the Little House on the Prairie.  It had three classes....one for first, second and third grades.  Upstairs was one big room for the gym, cafeteria, and anything else that was needed.  Well, the bus didn't get there.  School had started we were still waiting.  Finally about an hour later, here it came.  The bus driver got lost.  I told you it was in the boonies.  It was a great school.  One big happy family.
Isn't it funny the things that you remember.  I could go on and on about the things that happened in that little school.  Good memories for sure.
Yesterday I watched the two little guys out of town.  I was their sister's Nanny, my Doodle.  They are almost 3 and 4.  When I left the little guy stood on the sidewalk and pleaded, "But, Nanny I want you."  Over and over again, hah.  I just love the relationship I have with these little kids and their sister and their parents. 
Okay, that's my week.  Not too exciting.  I am sure next week will totally off the wall.  Lots of laughter and silly things like pies in the face and hot dog launching.  I'll be back with pictures.
 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

my visit here is just like sitting down with you, I always enjoy my visit here so much, I love the sound of the socks! You have been very busy!

pogonip said...

You'll have a fun and busy week (and sleeping in your own bed sounds so much better than camping). It's so fun to hear about your grandkids--love that idea of having them pick out their clothes for school. I'll be using that idea when our little two year old is starting real school!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Debby, would you believe I was a clown once. I made my own costume..white with bright pink polka dots. Big pink curly wig..pink shoes with big pink pom poms on them and bells. Pink lips and bright pink spots on my cheeks.
What fun we had. I was trying to remember my name. We all have names..no, it wasn't Pinky. Wish I could remember. I will have to ask my girlfriend who was one with me.
I loved the children's reaction to me and how people would wave at me as I drove by! SO much fun we had.
Hugs and love,
Mona

Grammy Goodwill said...

What fun the clown camp must be! It sounds like a perfect "job" for you, too. I know you must enjoy it so much. Enjoy yourself.

vivian said...

have fun next week with your clowning around! I know its what you love to do. And its no wonder the children love you, children love clowns! looking forward to pictures.
happy day!
xoxo
vivian

Edna B said...

Gosh, my brother would have loved being in your town this week. He just loved clowns. He used to have a beautiful Emmett Kelly painting hanging on his wall.

Ahhh, memories. I knew exactly what you were talking about when you talked of how much value you were able to get for your money way back when. I as a very thrifty shopper.

Well, enjoy your week with at the clown camp. Hugs, Edna B.

Julia said...

Have fun at the Clown Academy. They have come to town to bring you happiness and good luck.... I bet the kids will love to see you dressed up in your clown outfit.

Sorry the house showings was cancelled again. One day soon, the right buyers will show up at your door.
Hugs,
JB

Relyn Lawson said...

Have fun at Clown Academy and take lots of pictures, please. I want to see!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Definitely take lots of pictures. Have loads of fun clowning around! Sounds like its another busy week ahead!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hope you've had a wonderful time! What an amazing thing to be involved with! WOW! I hope you got my email, too. Thank you SO much for the sweet package of goodies my friend! I love it ALL! Sweet hugs, Diane