Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Candles (Please read)

I Love candles, how about you?  I light one almost every day.  I like the scents, esp. vanilla and to see the warm glow.  What is your favortie scent.  I am thinking of switching to soy since they seem to be more "green".
I haven't always had the best of luck with candles, and this is why I ask you to READ this post.
Once while watching Doodle and Baby Bella, we celebrated
Bella's 1st birthday with cupcakes.  Bella was too young for a candle but I thought Doodle wasn't.  I lit one candle in the donut for Doodle.  I stepped back and snapped a picture.  When looking back at that picture there was one strand of hair out of whack.  (Laken is the one with the long hair in the photo above) 
As I snapped the photo that strand of hair got in the flame of the candle and Doodle's hair caught fire.  I clapped that hair and out went the flame.  I then wet her hair and washed that area. 
Not even a singe.  Doodle was scared, as I was, but no physical damage done.  Psychological for sure.  Doodle will not allow candles at her birthdays now and Nanny (what she calls me) is paranoid about candles and birthday parties.  I tried all day to tell Doodle's parents.  I kept chickening out.  When they both got home from work I knew I had to.  Then Doodle's Dad asked if her Mom had told me that she nearly cut of the dogs ear while trying to get a burr out.  So I then proceeded with the news.  I think I said, "Well then that makes this easier to tell you."  They laughed about it since all was well.  Every birthday party Doodle's Dad tells everyone what Nanny did.  You wouldn't believe the looks I get. 

Now if that wasn't bad enough READ ON PLEASE.
This Christmas it will be two years since this accident.  I had a candle burning all day.  It was a homemade candle someone gave me.  Goose and K. Bug had just left with their Daddy from being here all day.  I still had a baby here that I was taking care of.  She wasn't in my arms when I went to blow out that candle.  There was alot of melted wax in the jar.  When I blew out that candle the flame made that wax just explode.  The wax went everywhere.......including my EYES.  It was terrible.  I called my son back.  I held that baby and the tears back until she was picked up.  We went to my eye doctor and then to a surgeon.  My eyes did heal after a week of horrible pain.  I had small burns all over my face.  My eyes were swollen and I was a mess.  When I looked where I had the candle there was wax everyone.  My clothes were covered as well.  The reason for this long post is that you will TAKE CARE with candles.  Snuff them.  Do not use around children.  These incidents are one of my proudest moments.

9 comments:

Sherri B. said...

Thank you for sharing your lessons with us so we might nort have to go through it.

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

Thank you for sharing your experiences.. I am so happy nothing tragic occured and you have healed from your injuries.
This is my wake up call to be more careful and I will surely do so after reading your post..

Le Chateau des fleurs said...

I am SO SORRY! That's sucks!
I stopped using candles when my first girl was 2 and climbing everywhere....No candles since...Just for decoration. We have the Bday candles and i keep the kids away. The matches also are out of reach because my son would love to set everything on fire!
I am so sorry. This is great that you are sharing this with us. Great reminder. Thank you for visiting. You know how much i like to see your comments.
Hugs
Frenchy

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

WOW...that is very scary and so glad that you are alright...something to remember when having the candles burning.
Deb :)

Mumsy said...

I am so sorry to hear about your burns. Glad your eyes healed and are okay. I love candles too but I know we have to be very careful with them and not let them burn for long periods of time. Now thanks to you I know to never blow them out. I have a snuffer but I do not always go get it when I want a candle out, I will from now on.

I like vanilla candles also but I think my favorite would be cinnamon.

Thank you, for this informative blog, you may have saved someone from getting burned or even saved a life by posting this. Hugs

Donna said...

My goodness Debby! i love candles for cakes and elsewhere, but I don't understand what happened with the homemade candle. I make candles but I can't imagine why one would explode. Thanks for sharing the story.

BTW, a girl a church caught her hair on fire when we were having a candlelight Christmas service. Parents should be extra cautious when having candles around the kids (and that goes triple for fireworks).

Love,
Donna @ Comin' Home

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing these stories. It's good for others to know what can happen. I have a candle story too. We had open flame candles on our Christmas dinner table one year. After dinner, I was pouring coffee when the sleeve of my sweater got too close to one of the candles. The flame went straight up my arm. Fortunately my BIL jumped to the rescue as quickly as I put the coffee pot down and started patting out the flames. My sweater was a mess, but I didn't have a burn on me. Lucky! Now I don't use candles on the table unless they are in hurricanes. Lesson learned.
~ Sarah

Suzanne said...

Oh no...I'm so sorry this happened to sweet Grammy! I know this is an older post but I had to comment. Thank you for the lesson! We love candles and need to remember this.
Hugs, Suzanne
P.S. Oh my gosh...tell me I didn't miss your birthday!!! Anyway, Happy Birthday and Happy day...EVERY day:)

Adonomist said...

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Candles in bulk