Saturday, January 28, 2017

Speaking of dogs

Good morning.  I hope you are all well.  Lots of germs going around. I had the Noro virus and it set me back a couple weeks.  I do not have a great immune system.
BloggerImage  Yesterday was a cold day.  The weather had been really warm for January in Ohio, but winter is back. I talked Hubby into a afternoon movie because we can do that now.  I enjoy his retirement.

We we put to see the "A Dog's Purpose", I think that's the title.  I got the book for Hubby but he hasn't read it all.  We knew by the  commercials it would be sad.  Yes it is sad . Spoiler alert, it ends well.

If you see the movie or read the book you will understand why I am writing about Piper.

I looked back in my posts but I couldn't go back 8 years to find I think my first or second post that was about how we found Piper.

Before I tell you about Piper I have to tell you about Matty.  We found our first Springer at the pound.  Funny thing is we live next door to the pound, now.  There is a small woods between us. Back to Matty, (I am sure I am ADD) we had this brainy idea that when my uncle's dog died close to when his wife died, we would get him a puppy.  He would be at our house on Christmas.  So a couple days before we go to the pound.  Before we could get out of the car we see this guy carrying puppies inside.  He also brought the Mama in. I guess he rescued the Mama and then bred her.  He kept one of the puppies.  Nice guy , right!!  Well we saw those beautiful puppies.  We choose one with brown, liver, spots. Because the pup had been on the floor for 30 minutes the dog warden (who was a neighbor at our old home) said he would refund our money if the dog got sick.  He also put the papers in our name.  He told us it might be a bad idea to get the puppy as a surprise.  During those 2 days we started falling in love.  My uncle didn't  take her because he already made plans to get another dog.  We already had two cocker spaniel's.  The kids said no way could we keep her.  But they were all in college, well three out of four.  So their votes didn't count.  We named her Matty.  What a great dog she was.  So sweet and gentle.  We lost her at 12 and it broke our hearts.  It always does.

We weren't going to get another dog.  Nope.  Then about three months right after Christmas I wanted to just look at puppies.  We went to the same pound.  Nothing tugged at our heart strings.  They just brought in a dog they found in a trash dumpster.  He was scared to death.  We felt so bad for him.  So we went next door to the humane society. They didn't open til an hour later.  So we went look at the pet store.  Beautiful pups,  but decided to go back to the humane society.  We had seen in the paper a cute black lab.  Well a lady had herself camped in front of her cage waiting to see her.  (We found our later she didn't get her). So walking back to the car my husband said, "I am shocked you didn't see a dog you wanted."  Knowing myself . the person that brings home dogs and kids to adopt, he had reason to think that.

Sorry this is so long.  So there we were parked next to the pound. I said I wanted to go in to see that scared dog to see if he was better. Not to adopt him.  We went in again.  Hubby was talking to an attendant that was seeing to that poor dog. I walked three cages down and LO and BEHOLD there was a four month old Springer that had not been there one hour ago.  I shouted to my Hubby to come over.  Now we had already decided to get a female dog with short hair and not a Springer.  We picked HIM up and walked to the desk and said we want him.  He had just been dropped off by a lady.  She had a story about seeing him walked no down the road with a couple of little kids.  It was wet and mushy snow outside.  The dog was dry and clean.  We think he was a Christmas gift that was a bad idea.  WELL we were told we had to wait three days to see if he had an owner.  I visited him everyday.  On the the third day I went for him. They said no one had come forward to claim him but it was four days, not three.  Knowing how difficult this person was , I didn't want to stomp my feet and loose my doggy.  So I left.  I called them several times that day to see if anyone claimed him.  So the next day I went and got our Piper.  I know it's a girl name but his name is Piper. He has been the best dog ever.  He did have Parvovirus after we got him but I was determined when a vet wouldn't help him, that he would be okay.  I have always said that Matty placed him there for us to find.  

Okay, after seeing the movie, I still feel that she gave us Piper.  

If you are still reading,thanks.  It's a great story I think. Go see the movie.

(Yes there was a story from PETA about one scene.  I remember people sayingtothrow your child into a pool so they could learn to swim.  I tend to believe that the scene they were talking about was handled differently than how it was portrayed.  I still blame the for the elephants and the circus. I have friends as far back as 50 years that say that they weren't abused. I tend to believe someone that was there full time.  Rant over.)

9 comments:

Susie said...

Debbie, Glad you are better. It tickled me to read that you were enjoying your husband being retired. Good for both of you. I want to see that movie. I am just getting over my daughter's dog being sick. I just can't get a pet...it hurts too much when they are sick or die. So I just love on everyone else's dogs. LOL Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie
p.s. I never believed the elephants were mistreated...cause who could afford to get it better...they would cost too much to misuse.

NanaDiana said...

I am so sorry that you were sick...but hope you are all better now.
That is a wonderful story about Piper and Matty! I haven't had a dog in many years and probably won't now that we know we are going to be moving at some point.
At the last minute, spur of the moment, I gave SweetCheeks the book "A Dog's Purpose" and I thought she was going to start crying. She said it was a book she had been hoping to get (and went upstairs to start reading). God gave me a little nudge on that one, I guess.
Hope you have a blessed Sunday- xo Diana

Junebug said...

Love the story of Matty and Piper. I sure hope you are on the mend and feeling better. I don't go to movie out for I am the worlds biggest blubber head and the movie doesn't even have to be sad. Yep, I cry at happy movies! I'm hopeless so will wait til it comes out for home viewing. Hope you are enjoying the weekend!

Julia said...

A great story with a happy ending. I hope you're feeling better.
I haven't been to a movie in ages and only read one book last year. I'm pitiful ain't I?
Hugs,
Julia

Betsy said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. There is so much sickness going around this year. I loved your story of Matty and Piper. Love those names too. Our granddaughter is Piper and our best friends have a King Charles Spanial named Matty. She's a wonderful dog. I can't imagine not having my Chloe with me. I already say I don't know if I'll get another dog when she's gone. It hurts too much to lose them. Gosh, it's been years since I went to a movie. I much prefer watching at home where I can pause it when I want to! :-) Have a lovely day!
Blessings,
Betsy

Sue said...

Such a sweet story, Deb! I never knew Piper's history. I hope you and Larry can have some adventures now that he's home. We still need to have an outing to Polly's one of these days. Now if it would only warm up and the sun would come out! hugs....

Kathy said...

What a lovely story. I'm sure that Matty and Piper were meant to be yours. We just lost our cat, Snowy a month ago. The happiness of having her and the sadness of losing her still linger. I don't know if I'll get another pet. It hurts so much to lose them.

Unknown said...

Very nice post. I really liked reading your story! So happy for you that you're feeling better. Wishing you the best:)
Jessi

vivian said...

I thought you were going to say you took the scared dog.. I hope that poor dog ended up with a good home too! lol! we havent had a dog in many many years.. I always say maybe someday when I retire.. but I dont know.. .. I do love them though! have a great day my friend.
xoxo