Monday, April 25, 2016

Listing your home for sale

Since it took us so long to sell our house you might not want my advice.  But if you are getting ready to sell your house and considering buying a new house, these are the things I wish we would have known.

We had three different realtors over the period of time our house was listed.  We first listed right before the market crashed.  So we only stayed on the market 5 months.
Then we waited a couple of years and tried again.  This time we listed in late July and stayed listed til November.  That year it seemed that the market was really good in April and May and then it stopped for houses in our price range again.  At this time there were three or four condos available where we wanted to move.  They weren't selling then either.
So after the holidays we thought we will list again early as in March.  That still didn't bring us a buyer til November.  At the same time condos were selling as soon as they hit the market or even before.  A big change from the summer before.  We literally had given up and were getting ready to take our house off the market and we got an offer.  But there wasn't anything on the market that we wanted.   But most of you know the story on how lucky we were to find this little cottage (condo).
But the reason behind this post, sorry I got distracted.

ROOF  This is the reason I think it took us so long to sell.  It was 30 years old but was still in good condition.  There were no leaks in our roof.  But all the realtors said if we list the house lower and that would reflect that the house needed a new roof.  WRONG  I really think had we replace that roof before we listed our home would not have sat so long.  As it was we had to replace the roof before we moved.  That is probably the biggest expense that you can have in maintaining a home.  Windows can be replaced one at a time, as carpeting or flooring.

Make sure you know how much closing costs are when you sell and buy another home.  In our case the closing costs were $25,000 on a $200,000 house. 

You can clean and stage til the cows come in and it may not even help.  Well, it does help but it didn't sell our house.  (We don't have cows but we did have buzzards, lol)

Here are some of the reasons people weren't writing an offer:
Bi-Level home
Bedrooms not all on the same level
Not updated (no granite or stainless)  We didn't want to replace ours in case we didn't sell.
Too many trees close to the house
The overhead electrical wires too low
Well and septic
Lots of yard work
Inadequate advertising  (Our last realtor did advertise but the one before didn't)

Sometimes houses will sell so quickly while others linger on and on.  I personally think a lot has to do with the price range.  No matter what price your home is listed for buyers want everything already done.  Our home was built in the 60's and priced low compared to others in our school district.  So, I wish you luck and a quick sale if you are on the market. 
Now to the present.................
It is such a wonderful feeling knowing that we are planted and found such a perfect place for us.  I feel sorry for those that have signs for sale in their yards.  We really like having "people" to mow and maintain the outside of our home.  We are really happy to be here.  I like finding spring surprises growing , like hostas and flowering trees.  It was worth all that we went through.




12 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It took us a long time to sell our last home too. And it's hard to figure out the reasons sometimes. But I'm like you....I'm glad it's over and we are in a home we can enjoy. Have a good week! Hugs, Diane

Betsy said...

I want so badly to sell our home and move into a place where someone does our yard work but Hubby isn't interested. He loves our house. I hate cleaning it now that the kids are all gone. It's too big. Oh well. You do have some great pointers. A good realtor is also a big reason a house sells or doesn't sell. At our last home it was listed for 6 months with NOT ONE showing. A few months later we found another realtor and he had three full price or above offers within a week! He did the same for our son and several friends. I don't know his secret, but we'll definitely use him again if we do sell.
Glad you're settled and happy.
Blessings,
Betsy

Betsy said...

Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. We're already where you and your husband were with the climbing onto the roof thing. I don't do heights at all and our house is so high, even my husband doesn't like to climb up there anymore. Ten years ago? Okay. Now? Not so much. I think we're getting older. :-) no help for that.
Blessings,
Betsy

Grammy Goodwill said...

I'm so glad that your house sold and you are now settled in your new place. We, too, have that outside maintenance and hubby loves it. Even though our house is so much smaller, I seem to still struggle to keep up with the housework. (That's probably because I always put it last on my to do list.)

Winkel's Crazy Ideas said...

We sold our last house to a family from Oslo. They bought it based on the internet photos! I think we were very lucky though. It is very true as you say; people want everything done and ready to move in, modern stainless steel and all. So glad you are settled now, you had a rough journey. Pam in Norway xx

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you found your perfect for you spot,, it sounds amazing,, the housing market is up here in Canada and the prices are sky high at this time, this post is great to help sellers!!

Connie said...

Debby, we went through some of the same things . . . we listed in June and it sold in December. We were beginning to think that no one would ever love it the way we did for all those years. We even started considering renting it, even though we didn't want to be landlords. Selling a house is not a fun task.
I'm so happy that you are both happy in your new home . . . not doing yard work, I can see the ups and downs to that . . . I still love working outside, but have no idea how long I will be able to keep it up. God willing, a long time :)
Have a wonderful weekend, my friend.
Connie :)

Edna B said...

I agree with one of your friends, that a good realtor makes a huge difference in selling your house in a timely manner. What a great idea to make a list for future home sales.

I think it's sad that one of the things on your list is "too many trees close to the house". I guess if I ever decided to sell my house, I would need a buyer who loves the "forest" look. I am surrounded by huge trees, and have no intentions of cutting them down.

I think it's wonderful that you have yard maintenance. I can't do my garden work like I would like to, but thank goodness one of the dwarfs helps me with that. I really do like that little pond by your cottage. That's something I would like to have someday. I love the water and the water birds.

Today is my little guy's birthday and I have a cake to frost. We will be having a little party later this afternoon. Now it's time for me to get busy here. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Kelly said...

I am so happy to hear that you love your new home! I know that had to be so stressful trying to sell your home so many times with not much luck until recently. I read your advice to my husband since we will be selling our home in the next few years. We have been constantly updating our home though so hopefully that will help it compete with the others on the market better. Our home is 20 years old. We are getting new carpet next week. It's always something with a house! Enjoy your new home!

genie said...

Hi Debby....It is good be on the computer again. I've been down with my back and not doing much of anything but am finally on the mend. Reading this post makes me shutter. I knew closing costs were terrible, but this is ridiculous. And all the complaints of the people going thru the home. We want to sell this big old RUN DOWN place AS IS. It is way too much for us now that I am not much help. It need TONS of EXPENSIVE work on it, but we are not even thinking of doing any of it. When the day comes we decide to put it on the market we will just do it and take what we can and GO! Hope you are doing OK. Am so happy you are moved and so happy. See your again soon. Your little Easter banner still hangs and I use my little box you make me every day. you are all over my old house. Hugs, genie

genie said...

Debby....I forgot to tell you I am back using my buttonsforbaga blog again. g

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Great post!! I was especially interested in what you had to say about the roof. Our plan is that since we ALREADY replaced our roof, when it is time to replace it AGAIN in 10-12 years, we would put the house up for sale as is and move into a maintenance free apartment!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Hugs,
Deb