Monday, July 19, 2010

Trying to decide what to do next

Sorry, these aren't pretty feet.  My nails are polished though.  I have two hours before the post office closes.  I have to mail
Brenda her box today, because, I promised.
This is probably the only day this week that I don't have anything planned.  Fun plans to see the out of state babies before they leave.
I am glued to this couch contemplating my future.  I had planned this fall to still be watching my granddaughter.  I found out before my trip to Colorado that she will be going to pre-k full time this fall.  I am sad but I understand.  I have a newborn that is supposed to start in October.  (not even born yet)  I hope to have another baby to watch as well.  
But, that is a long time to wait for an income.  It's not life or death if I work but right now,  I need to.....at least a little.  I have applied (today) for a co director position at a before and after school program and also for a part time teacher at a pre-school.  I have the education and experience.   I'm not sure that is want  I want to do.  I'm not a spring chicken anymore.  I have loved watching little ones in my "own" home for the past two years.  I like my compute to work (hah) esp. in the winter.
I just really don't know what I want to do.  I  do know that I love children and I don't want to retire just yet.
Does anyone have advice for me or have you had these feelings .  Thanks for listening to me ramble.   ((((HUGS))))

10 comments:

Sherri B. said...

I can just tell you what I would do. I have often said that if need be I could take in a few children and/or before and after school kids. That would leave me at home and in charge of the blessings that I could give the children and their parents. When you work for someone else that is out of your control. I believe that children that must be cared for by others are far better off in a private home.

Unknown said...

I feel this way a lot of times! A lot of times i don't know what i want to do or what is next for me in my life...new baby?, more me time?....new career?...And i am not the only one. I have to plan what hubby wants too and we are not on the same line sometimes.
My advise is not to be in a hurry for things to happen. Keep on applying to jobs...follow your heart and everything will come in time...
Have a great day!
Love ya!

this free bird said...

Oh Debby!! I used to own a childcare facility and we had 85 to 100 children btwn the ages of 0 and 12 years old. I would have hired you in an instant!!

Afterschool kids can be a handful, but as the Director you'd have all day to plan activities to keep them going so there's a plus to that position too.

The P/T Pre-K might be the most fun though b/c it's P/T and the age group will be amazingly hilarious. If you have to take a position I'd say take that one.

It sounds like you have kids in a dayhome setting on your own. You know, summer is always a leery time b/c parents are deciding what to do...hopefully a child or two pops up so you can work from home!!

Hang in there - hope I helped even a little :)

xoxo,
Carrie
ps- the guy got in the laundry room window. It's been bolted shut ever since!! shudder

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Debby! I so understand how you feel. Working from home is so different than a place - especially with your own grandbabies.
You can tell your heart is so for children.
Is there a way you could consider other kids - after school or neighborhood kids? I think any child you watch would be such a lucky little one.

Anonymous said...

I hope that you do not rush into something that you will not be happy doing. Take all the time you can to decide what really feels right to you and go that direction. That is what I would do. I have been where you are and I know that it is hard to not be able to decide, but you will. Myself if I were in your position would choose to work at home. Hugs

Donna said...

Hi Debby, I don't know about you but I hope I always work from home. Right now, I homeschool and every minute is occupied. But I hope to teach sewing as I have done most summers or design fabric art. I really enjoyed babysitting my granddaughter on Tuesdays. I was kind of lonely when they didn't need me anymore.

Thanks so much for your sweet comment about my anniversary. :o)

Donna @ Comin' Home
www.thehomemakingarts.blogspot.com

Brenda Pruitt said...

I agree that being at home is the best. I just don't have any answers on this!
Brenda

bj said...

I agree that following your heart will make things work the way YOU want them to. Sorry that is all I can tell you.

When our first grandson was born, I retired early from a job I had been with for over 10 years. I never looked back and I never regretted it even once. 9 more little grands followed over the years and I was a big part of every one of their lives. Now that they are almost grown, I thank God every day for allowing me the time with them.
Good luck on your decision..:)

Shannan Martin said...

Oh, the blessing that you are to the families of the kiddos you care for! I'm hoping you'll gather up a few more to watch in your home. It sounds like you're happy there! (And I always support a fellow home-body.) ;)

B said...

I have a feeling that things will unfold for you in a manner that will allow you to enrich the lives of these little ones but also in a setting that you will flourish in. You're too good of a person not to have it happen that way. I will pray that it all works out splendidly for you!